Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default show formulas in excel

How do I show formulas in only specific cells in Excel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Either preface them with an apostrophe or use a helper cell and a User Defined
Function.

Function ShowFormula(cell)
ShowFormula = "No Formula"
If cell.HasFormula Then ShowFormula = cell.Formula
End Function

usage is =ShowFormula(cellref)

First off.........save a backup of your workbook.

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

In the meantime..........

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there.

Save the workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to Excel window.

Enter the formula in a helper cell as explained above.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:57:08 -0700, rstiff
wrote:

How do I show formulas in only specific cells in Excel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suppose you worksheet has 10 cells with formulas and 20 with text or numbers.
If you use CTRL+` )the key below ESC), then the 10 cell with formulas will be displayed as formula. You cannot have only some of these cells displaying formulas.

You can use a User-defined function such as

Function ShowFormula(Cell as Range) as String
ShowFormula = Cell.Formula
End Function
to display the formula of a specific cell using the syntax =ShowFormula(A1)

If you need help with VBA see David McRitchie's site on "getting started" with VBA

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme