-   -   show formulas in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/135597-show-formulas-excel.html)

rstiff

show formulas in excel

How do I show formulas in only specific cells in Excel

Gord Dibben

show formulas in excel

Either preface them with an apostrophe or use a helper cell and a User Defined
Function.

Function ShowFormula(cell)
ShowFormula = "No Formula"
If cell.HasFormula Then ShowFormula = cell.Formula
End Function

usage is =ShowFormula(cellref)

First off.........save a backup of your workbook.

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

In the meantime..........

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there.

Save the workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to Excel window.

Enter the formula in a helper cell as explained above.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:57:08 -0700, rstiff
wrote:

How do I show formulas in only specific cells in Excel

Bernard Liengme

show formulas in excel

Suppose you worksheet has 10 cells with formulas and 20 with text or numbers.
If you use CTRL+` )the key below ESC), then the 10 cell with formulas will be displayed as formula. You cannot have only some of these cells displaying formulas.

You can use a User-defined function such as

Function ShowFormula(Cell as Range) as String
ShowFormula = Cell.Formula
End Function
to display the formula of a specific cell using the syntax =ShowFormula(A1)

If you need help with VBA see David McRitchie's site on "getting started" with VBA

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme