Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JDR JDR is offline

Default transfering data from one sheet to another

I am trying to create a master sheet that I can edit and the changes will
automatically reflect in the dependent sheets... I am have been using
formulas like this "='Main Sheet'!A7"
However if I insert a blank row so I can add new data on the "Main Sheet"
then excel automatically changes my formula in the dependent cell so that it
stays "locked" to the original data from A7
what I want is for cells in the dependent sheets to ALWAYS reflect what is
on the main sheet so that WHATEVER I change on the main sheet will reflect in
the others
ie: I do not want excel to "adjust" my cell refereces but to always show
exactly what is in the correspoding cells on the master sheet
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wouldn't do this. Sorting your data could screw it up.

Instead, if you have a unique key field in your original worksheet, you could
put the values you want on the other sheet (not as a formula--real values).

Then either use =vlookup() or =index(match()) to retrieve the information I
want.

Debra Dalgleish explains it:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JDR JDR is offline

The links errored.. said page could not be found... so I looked up vlookup
and index on the net... neither did what I was looking for but by
experimenting and I thing I got what I want.
thanks very much for your resonse.

--
Thanks