Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default transfering data from one sheet to another

Those links are good now.

You still may want to read them. They have lots of good information.

JDR wrote:

The links errored.. said page could not be found... so I looked up vlookup
and index on the net... neither did what I was looking for but by
experimenting and I thing I got what I want.
thanks very much for your resonse.

--
Thanks

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I wouldn't do this. Sorting your data could screw it up.

Instead, if you have a unique key field in your original worksheet, you could
put the values you want on the other sheet (not as a formula--real values).

Then either use =vlookup() or =index(match()) to retrieve the information I
want.

Debra Dalgleish explains it:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

JDR wrote:

I am trying to create a master sheet that I can edit and the changes will
automatically reflect in the dependent sheets... I am have been using
formulas like this "='Main Sheet'!A7"
However if I insert a blank row so I can add new data on the "Main Sheet"
then excel automatically changes my formula in the dependent cell so that it
stays "locked" to the original data from A7
what I want is for cells in the dependent sheets to ALWAYS reflect what is
on the main sheet so that WHATEVER I change on the main sheet will reflect in
the others
ie: I do not want excel to "adjust" my cell refereces but to always show
exactly what is in the correspoding cells on the master sheet
Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--