Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying Formulas in Excel 2003 (The results Dont Change)

I'm working on a workbook that is accessible to my co-workers on a share
drive. When I copy formulas down the results remain the same as the original
formula or they display Zero. The cell reference is changing accordingly,
but the result is not changing.
I checked the Calculation mode and it is set to Automatic.

Has anyone seen this error before?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You probably have an error in your formula that is not obvious. Click one of
the wrong results and use the on the Tools Menu - Formula Auditing - Evalute
Formula and see if your formula has an error.

"Marilyn" wrote:

I'm working on a workbook that is accessible to my co-workers on a share
drive. When I copy formulas down the results remain the same as the original
formula or they display Zero. The cell reference is changing accordingly,
but the result is not changing.
I checked the Calculation mode and it is set to Automatic.

Has anyone seen this error before?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The usual reason for that problem is that Excel calculation is set to manual.

Try this:

From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<calculation tab
CHECK: Automatic calculation.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Marilyn" wrote:

I'm working on a workbook that is accessible to my co-workers on a share
drive. When I copy formulas down the results remain the same as the original
formula or they display Zero. The cell reference is changing accordingly,
but the result is not changing.
I checked the Calculation mode and it is set to Automatic.

Has anyone seen this error before?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ron,

as previously posted I checked to ensure that the Calculation was set to
Automatic and it is. The formulas do not have any errors because when I
close the file and re-open the formulas change to their correct values.

Any ideas?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

The usual reason for that problem is that Excel calculation is set to manual.

Try this:

From the Excel main menu:

"Marilyn" wrote:

I'm working on a workbook that is accessible to my co-workers on a share
drive. When I copy formulas down the results remain the same as the original
formula or they display Zero. The cell reference is changing accordingly,
but the result is not changing.
I checked the Calculation mode and it is set to Automatic.

Has anyone seen this error before?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A couple things to test:

If you press the [F9] key to calculate the workbook, do the correct values
display?

If you edit one of the copied cells and press the [F9] key to calculate it,
does it show the correct value?
(don't press [enter] after doing that or you'll hard-code the value)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

The usual reason for that problem is that Excel calculation is set to manual.

Try this:

From the Excel main menu:

"Marilyn" wrote:

I'm working on a workbook that is accessible to my co-workers on a share
drive. When I copy formulas down the results remain the same as the original
formula or they display Zero. The cell reference is changing accordingly,
but the result is not changing.
I checked the Calculation mode and it is set to Automatic.

Has anyone seen this error before?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ron,

I did what you told me and it did work, but again the Calculation mode is
set to Automatic not manual. Saving, closing and re-opening the file works
too. I really need to get this fix is there a setting i'm missing. the file
is saved in a share drive under a very long path and someone told me that
could be the problem. they said there is a character limitation when saving
files and that also includes the path. Is that true?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

The usual reason for that problem is that Excel calculation is set to manual.

Try this:

From the Excel main menu:

"Marilyn" wrote:

I'm working on a workbook that is accessible to my co-workers on a share
drive. When I copy formulas down the results remain the same as the original
formula or they display Zero. The cell reference is changing accordingly,
but the result is not changing.
I checked the Calculation mode and it is set to Automatic.

Has anyone seen this error before?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To check for a file path length limitation issue (which I'm not aware of, by
the way) save the file on your hard drive and open it from there.

Does it work properly after you do that?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

The usual reason for that problem is that Excel calculation is set to manual.

Try this:

From the Excel main menu: