Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default zip codes without losing leading zero from csv

I create text files (csv) from Informix 4gl and I often need to send
zipcodes. When csv files open in excel, you lose the leading 0 for states
like CT, NJ, and MA. Is there an ascii character to put in front of zip? I
can't depend on users to change the formatting of the cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Feb 28, 4:57 pm, mccafl wrote:
I create text files (csv) from Informix 4gl and I often need to send
zipcodes. When csv files open in excel, you lose the leading 0 for states
like CT, NJ, and MA. Is there an ascii character to put in front of zip? I
can't depend on users to change the formatting of the cells.

What would happen if you made the zip codes as text not as numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Stan,

If you see the zeroes on the sheet before you write the file as csv, it's probably including
them in the file. Open it with NotePad to see for sure.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com