-   -   zip codes without losing leading zero from csv (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/132688-zip-codes-without-losing-leading-zero-csv.html)

mccafl

zip codes without losing leading zero from csv

I create text files (csv) from Informix 4gl and I often need to send
zipcodes. When csv files open in excel, you lose the leading 0 for states
like CT, NJ, and MA. Is there an ascii character to put in front of zip? I
can't depend on users to change the formatting of the cells.

Dave Peterson

zip codes without losing leading zero from csv

Maybe you could change your CSV generator to create data like:
="01234"

--

Dave Peterson

Stan

On Feb 28, 4:57 pm, mccafl wrote:
I create text files (csv) from Informix 4gl and I often need to send
zipcodes. When csv files open in excel, you lose the leading 0 for states
like CT, NJ, and MA. Is there an ascii character to put in front of zip? I
can't depend on users to change the formatting of the cells.

What would happen if you made the zip codes as text not as numbers?

mccafl

zip codes without losing leading zero from csv

How do I get excel to know that is it text without have the quotes show?

"Stan" wrote:

On Feb 28, 4:57 pm, mccafl wrote:
I create text files (csv) from Informix 4gl and I often need to send
zipcodes. When csv files open in excel, you lose the leading 0 for states
like CT, NJ, and MA. Is there an ascii character to put in front of zip? I
can't depend on users to change the formatting of the cells.

What would happen if you made the zip codes as text not as numbers?

Earl Kiosterud

zip codes without losing leading zero from csv

Stan,

If you see the zeroes on the sheet before you write the file as csv, it's probably including
them in the file. Open it with NotePad to see for sure.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Stan" wrote:

On Feb 28, 4:57 pm, mccafl wrote:
I create text files (csv) from Informix 4gl and I often need to send
zipcodes. When csv files open in excel, you lose the leading 0 for states
like CT, NJ, and MA. Is there an ascii character to put in front of zip? I
can't depend on users to change the formatting of the cells.

What would happen if you made the zip codes as text not as numbers?

David Biddulph[_2_]

zip codes without losing leading zero from csv

Rename the CSV file as .txt, and then Excel's text import wizard allows you
to specify the column as text.
--
David Biddulph