Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default opening excel documents

Has anyone ever experienced troubles opening a document that is on the
desktop or from email attachment.
when I double click on the document from either desktop or email attachment
the document is blank and toolbars are greyed out.
But if i open excel program and do file open and choose that same file on
desktop it opens fine??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have heard of people having this problem when using XL 2007 (but I haven't
experienced it). I don't know if there's a solution, or if you have to wait
for MSFT to come out with a patch.

Dave

"colleen" wrote:

Has anyone ever experienced troubles opening a document that is on the
desktop or from email attachment.
when I double click on the document from either desktop or email attachment
the document is blank and toolbars are greyed out.
But if i open excel program and do file open and choose that same file on
desktop it opens fine??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Colleen

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:15:08 -0800, colleen
wrote:

Has anyone ever experienced troubles opening a document that is on the
desktop or from email attachment.
when I double click on the document from either desktop or email attachment
the document is blank and toolbars are greyed out.
But if i open excel program and do file open and choose that same file on
desktop it opens fine??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, I'm having the same problems as Collen and have done as you have
suggested. Whenever I run the
excel.exe /unregserver or the regserver, it just opens a blank excel on both
occasions.
This is driving me nuts!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ryan

Are you saying that when you go to StartRun and enter "excel.exe /unregserver"
or "excel.exe /regserver" Excel opens?

With the "excel.exe /unregserver" command you should see nothing. Excel gets
"unregisterd". We run this command only to correct for any mis-registering
that might have occurred prior. Ususally not necessary, just a precaution that
does no harm as long as you follow with the "registering".

With the "excel.exe /regserver" command, Windows Installer should pop up and go
through a "configuring" routine for a minute or so.

Gord

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 06:14:06 -0800, Ryan wrote:

Hi, I'm having the same problems as Collen and have done as you have
suggested. Whenever I run the
excel.exe /unregserver or the regserver, it just opens a blank excel on both
occasions.
This is driving me nuts!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Same problem here. I've tried all of the fixes mentioned so far. When I try
the StartRun and enter "excel.exe /unregserver" I get a blank Excel screen.
Same thing when I do the "excel.exe /regserver".

This is what happens when I try and open an excel document from my desktop
shortcut: I get a blank excel screen. I have to either downsize or upsize as
required and the spreadsheet opens. It also opens if I go to the file open in
the upper left corner. I've removed and reinstalled Office 2007 twice and
it's still the same.

This problem is happening on a Compaq with a 2.80 GHz Pentium. My other
Compaq with an AMD 2.00 GHz has no problems.

Lou (gityup65)

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was having this same problem in Excel 2003. In 2005 the same problem was
happening according to the blogs. See Andy's fix below:
"Hi - Go to Tools|Options|General and uncheck Ignore Other Applications. That
might sort it out for you. Andy"
--
It worked for Excel 2003 so I hope it works for you also!

Renee