Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Enter results in another cell

HELP!
I want my amount cell to be either a manually enter or a result of other
cells.

i.e. cell L is amount.... i want to either enter $5.00 or pickup the result
of column d ("".42) or column k&h (K7*H7)

Problem I have is that cell L has a feature to clear all contents. Can I
enter a formula in one cell and have the results input in another cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using formulas alone you cannot "push" data from one cell to another.

You would need VBA to do what you want.

Post specific cell addresses.

i.e. cell L is not a valid reference whereas L23 is valid.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 08:44:34 -0800, cdsgidget
wrote:

HELP!
I want my amount cell to be either a manually enter or a result of other
cells.

i.e. cell L is amount.... i want to either enter $5.00 or pickup the result
of column d ("".42) or column k&h (K7*H7)

Problem I have is that cell L has a feature to clear all contents. Can I
enter a formula in one cell and have the results input in another cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is this difficult to do.

I want cell L7 to be the result of either:

If E7=code 5050700003, then cell J7*.42 or
If E7=code 5050700006, then cell G7*H7 or
Manually entry

What would the code be in cell E7?

wrote:

HELP!
I want my amount cell to be either a manually enter or a result of other
cells.

i.e. cell L is amount.... i want to either enter $5.00 or pickup the result
of column d ("".42) or column k&h (K7*H7)

Problem I have is that cell L has a feature to clear all contents. Can I
enter a formula in one cell and have the results input in another cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

L7 can be the results of a formula entered in L7 but if you manually enter
something in L7, the formula will be overwritten.

Maybe you should re-think your lay-out but..................

Event code can fill L7 depending upon value in E7 or allow manual entry in L7.

But your manual entry will be changed any time E7 is subsequently changed.

If Target.Cells.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("E7")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
On Error GoTo CleanUp
Application.EnableEvents = False
Select Case Target.Value
Case Is = "5050700003"
Range("L7").Value = Range("J7") * 0.42
Case Is = "5050700006"
Range("L7") = Range("G7") * Range("H7")
End Select
CleanUp:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This is change event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code"

Copy/paste the above code into that sheet module.

L7 won't update as a result of a calculated value change in E7. Change in E7
could be the result of a DV list selection or be entered manually or copied and
pasted.

Gord