Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto enter date when data in enter in another cell

Howdy All,

I want the date enter in column A when data in enter in column B.
I want this date to remain constant, meaning that once it is enter as
12/4/2006, that it will not change.

Thanks,
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Brian

You can use the change event for this in the sheet module

If Not Application.Intersect(Range("B:B"), Target) Is Nothing Then
Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = Format(Now, "mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss")

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Brian" wrote in message
Howdy All,

I want the date enter in column A when data in enter in column B.
I want this date to remain constant, meaning that once it is enter as
12/4/2006, that it will not change.

Thanks,
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are not adverse to VBA macros this is fairly easy to do. Otherwise you
are going to have to rely on the person entering the data to add the date
manually. it is quick and easy to add the current date using
Ctrl + ;
If you want the code solution here it is
Right Click the Tab where you want the dates added and select View Code.
Paste the following...

If Target.Column = 2 Then Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = Now()
End Sub

This code adds both date and time. If you only want to see the date just
reformat the column to only show the date.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Brian" wrote:

Howdy All,

I want the date enter in column A when data in enter in column B.
I want this date to remain constant, meaning that once it is enter as
12/4/2006, that it will not change.

Thanks,
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nope. No way without VBA. All of the Date and time functions which insert a
date are volatile which means that they will recalculate each time a
calculation occures and the date and time will update to the current system
date...

There are other possible VBA solutions which would help you to get around
the security issues involved with enabling macros but they involve a bit more
understanding of VBA and macros in general... (Digital Signatures / User
Defined Functions deployed in an Addin...)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Brian" wrote:

Howdy All,

I want the date enter in column A when data in enter in column B.
I want this date to remain constant, meaning that once it is enter as
12/4/2006, that it will not change.

Thanks,
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Brian

No "auto" without VBA

Manually hit CTRL + ;(semi-colon) to enter a static date.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP