Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto filter Dates by Last Number

In Excel 2000, I'm trying to run an autofilter on a list of dates and I only
want it to return dates where the value of the last digit is a 1 or a 6. So
I select 'Custom' and 'Ends with' 1, and then check the 'or' box and selct
'ends with' 6.

This should work, but it doesn't seem to be reading dates in the way I need
it to. I tried pasting values, no luck. I tried changing the format of the
cells away from date, but then it gives me a number with a different ending
digit.

Very frustrating. Does anyone know how to teach Excel to read a date as a
number for the autoformat?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Not clear what your last number (1 or 6) means ..

Perhaps you could try filtering on a helper col, something along these lines:

Assuming dates in A2 down, with last number to be taken from the "day"
Place in say, C2:
=IF(OR(RIGHT(TEXT(A2,"d"))+0={1,6}),"X","")
Copy C2 down to flag out designated rows with "X"
Then just autofilter on col C, select: X
--
Max
Singapore
"dalovindj" wrote:
In Excel 2000, I'm trying to run an autofilter on a list of dates and I only
want it to return dates where the value of the last digit is a 1 or a 6. So
I select 'Custom' and 'Ends with' 1, and then check the 'or' box and selct
'ends with' 6.

This should work, but it doesn't seem to be reading dates in the way I need
it to. I tried pasting values, no luck. I tried changing the format of the
cells away from date, but then it gives me a number with a different ending
digit.

Very frustrating. Does anyone know how to teach Excel to read a date as a
number for the autoformat?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dates look like this:

1/2/2006
4/5/2004
3/8/1976

I just want to retun rows where the last digit of the year is a 6 or a 1.

"dalovindj" wrote:
In Excel 2000, I'm trying to run an autofilter on a list of dates and I only
want it to return dates where the value of the last digit is a 1 or a 6. So
I select 'Custom' and 'Ends with' 1, and then check the 'or' box and selct
'ends with' 6.

This should work, but it doesn't seem to be reading dates in the way I need
it to. I tried pasting values, no luck. I tried changing the format of the
cells away from date, but then it gives me a number with a different ending
digit.

Very frustrating. Does anyone know how to teach Excel to read a date as a
number for the autoformat?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Glad you got it adapted to suit <g.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"dalovindj" wrote in message
That formula did the trick (I just switched the "D" to a "Y"). Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Given it's the year your looking at, you can avoid using a helper column with
the following formula:

=mod(year(a1),5)=1

Fred