Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formulas!

Hi,

I have a field with 9 digits. I used the RIGHT formula to extract 5 numbers
from it. Now I also need to convert it to number (perhaps the VALUE). How can
I join those two formulas?

Example: 310009148 09148 wrong. i need 9148
310010542 10542 10452. ok.

Hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Barbara
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel needs to be prompted to coerce the "numeric text" into a number.
The standard convention for doing that is the double-minus....(see below)

With
A1: 310009148

Try this
B1: =--RIGHT(A1,5)