-   -   Formulas! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/130860-formulas.html)

Barbara

Formulas!

Hi,

I have a field with 9 digits. I used the RIGHT formula to extract 5 numbers
from it. Now I also need to convert it to number (perhaps the VALUE). How can
I join those two formulas?

Example: 310009148 09148 wrong. i need 9148
310010542 10542 10452. ok.

Hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Barbara

Ron Coderre

Formulas!

Excel needs to be prompted to coerce the "numeric text" into a number.
The standard convention for doing that is the double-minus....(see below)

With
A1: 310009148

Try this
B1: =--RIGHT(A1,5)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Barbara" wrote:

Hi,

I have a field with 9 digits. I used the RIGHT formula to extract 5 numbers
from it. Now I also need to convert it to number (perhaps the VALUE). How can
I join those two formulas?

Example: 310009148 09148 wrong. i need 9148
310010542 10542 10452. ok.

Hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Barbara

Barbara

Formulas!

Hi Ron,
Thank you very much for your prompt answer. It worked just fine.

Barbara