Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default EVEN AFTER PUTTING CODE IN VB, THE MESSAGE 'WORKBOOK CONTAINS LINK' POPS UP- HOW TO GET OVER THIS

DEAR ALL

I have put this code in the 'on open worksheet' --
Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False--.
But still do get the opening message when i open the file that it
contains links to another sheet - to update or not. I do have the
links to another worksheet but i do not want this message to pop up.
Thanks to Mr., Dave, BOb n Gary, I am going to keep watching for every
10mints for the response.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel notices the links before your code starts. So anything you do in this
workbook, won't help this workbook--but will "help" the next one.

Saved from a previous post:

You can toggle the setting (user by user, though) via:

Tools|Options|Edit Tab.
There's a checkmark for "ask to update automatic links"

But this means that you suppress the question--the links still get updated.

This setting is for the individual user--and affects all their workbooks.

If you want more control:
Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the original
workbook with links updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=1
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then you open the dummy workbook and the links will be refreshed.
(read about that UpdateLinks argument in VBA's help.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CAPTGNVR wrote:

DEAR ALL

I have put this code in the 'on open worksheet' --
Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False--.
But still do get the opening message when i open the file that it
contains links to another sheet - to update or not. I do have the
links to another worksheet but i do not want this message to pop up.
Thanks to Mr., Dave, BOb n Gary, I am going to keep watching for every
10mints for the response.

--

Dave Peterson

Thank you very much Dave. The trusted Mr. Dave. I got a fair idea of
what is happening and all clear from your explanation. Only place not
very clear is what exactly u mean """ So anything you do in this
workbook, won't help this workbook--but will "help" the next one."""".

So I am stuck with this link message everytime i open this work book
is it??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By the time your code runs, it's too late for the workbook that owns that code.

But if you open another workbook, then you've already changed the setting.

And you could try one of the suggestions to see if either of them helped.