Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

Default EVEN AFTER PUTTING CODE IN VB, THE MESSAGE 'WORKBOOK CONTAINS LINK' POPS UP- HOW TO GET OVER THIS

On Feb 4, 2:28 am, Dave Peterson wrote:
Excel notices the links before your code starts. So anything you do in this
workbook, won't help this workbook--but will "help" the next one.

Saved from a previous post:

You can toggle the setting (user by user, though) via:

Tools|Options|Edit Tab.
There's a checkmark for "ask to update automatic links"

But this means that you suppress the question--the links still get updated.

This setting is for the individual user--and affects all their workbooks.

If you want more control:
Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the original
workbook with links updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=1
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then you open the dummy workbook and the links will be refreshed.
(read about that UpdateLinks argument in VBA's help.)

CAPTGNVR wrote:

DEAR ALL

I have put this code in the 'on open worksheet' --
Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False--.
But still do get the opening message when i open the file that it
contains links to another sheet - to update or not. I do have the
links to another worksheet but i do not want this message to pop up.
Thanks to Mr., Dave, BOb n Gary, I am going to keep watching for every
10mints for the response.

--

Dave Peterson

Thank you very much Dave. The trusted Mr. Dave. I got a fair idea of
what is happening and all clear from your explanation. Only place not
very clear is what exactly u mean """ So anything you do in this
workbook, won't help this workbook--but will "help" the next one."""".

So I am stuck with this link message everytime i open this work book
is it??