Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mme mme is offline

Default Excel Replaced my work with a google ad ....

Hi I have a spreatsheet that has allot of information in it yesterday (27th
January 2007) I added some data and saved it then closed it. Today I opened
it to add some more data to it then all it had was a google ad in it?

This is what it said:
"Unsecured personal loans - Unsecured loans upto $20,000
Apply online today at financepoint www.financepoint.co.nz

Ads by Google Advertise on this site"

I scanned my computer for viruses using the free online scanner from live
one care then using my AVG with the latest definitions. Also scanned with
adaware and spybot but it found nothing. Why did this happen also a file
appeared in the folder where my spreadsheet is saved called "AA540000"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you open your real workbook and
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
ctrl-r to see the project explorer
do you see that AA540000 workbook open, too?

If that's not it...

It's time to read these and do some detective work:

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

===========

And if that's not it...

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

But that AA540000 looks too "non-random" to me. But even random numbers end
with 0000 sometimes.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mme mme is offline

I read allot of pages on those sites and tryed all those suggestions when I
opened it to repair it got 3 value's but they where just totals. I have also
downloaded PC Inspector File Recovery and I found alot of temp files but I
dont know how to open them.

This is what it said:
"Unsecured personal loans - Unsecured loans upto $20,000
Apply online today at financepoint www.financepoint.co.nz

Ads by Google Advertise on this site"

I scanned my computer for viruses using the free online scanner from live
one care then using my AVG with the latest definitions. Also scanned with
adaware and spybot but it found nothing. Why did this happen also a file
appeared in the folder where my spreadsheet is saved called "AA540000"

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you just do File|Open and save as a new name?

Or use windows explorer to rename them to something else (recovered01.xls) and
then open them and save them as a new name.

This is what it said:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mme mme is offline

not the .xls files but temp files but when I open them I just get numbers
letters in a very weird combination.