Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Office 2007 Toooooooo Slowwwwww to be Usable?

I have a Centrino Duo T2300 with 1 Gig of Ram and loaded the demo version of
Offict 2007 Professional. I have a 15 Meg spreadsheet created in Excel 2003
which I loaded and saved it in Excel 2007. It has a number of graph tabs.
When I press a graph tab it takes almost 5 seconds to switch between tabs.
This was almost instantaneous on 2003. It this the expected performance. In
addition the the memory size increases significantly with each graph tab and
is currently sitting at over 400 Meg.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is this issue repeated in other Office 2007 applications or just Excel? You
may want to look in the office discussion groups for memory issues related to
Office 2007.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Concerned with Office 2007 Speed" wrote:

I have a Centrino Duo T2300 with 1 Gig of Ram and loaded the demo version of
Offict 2007 Professional. I have a 15 Meg spreadsheet created in Excel 2003
which I loaded and saved it in Excel 2007. It has a number of graph tabs.
When I press a graph tab it takes almost 5 seconds to switch between tabs.
This was almost instantaneous on 2003. It this the expected performance. In
addition the the memory size increases significantly with each graph tab and
is currently sitting at over 400 Meg.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Concerned ... -

You haven't described the content of the 15 MB sheet, but you may get some
insights from the Excel pages at Charles Williams' web site, for example,

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecrets.htm

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Concerned with Office 2007 Speed"
t.com wrote in message
Trial

t.com wrote in message
I have a Centrino Duo T2300 with 1 Gig of Ram and loaded the demo
version
of
Offict 2007 Professional. I have a 15 Meg spreadsheet created in Excel
2003
which I loaded and saved it in Excel 2007. It has a number of graph
tabs.
When I press a graph tab it takes almost 5 seconds to switch between
tabs.
This was almost instantaneous on 2003. It this the expected
performance.
In
addition the the memory size increases significantly with each graph
tab
and
is currently sitting at over 400 Meg.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have noticed that even the RTM version of Excel 2007 seems slow to render
charts. I have not used it enough to actually quantify the behavior. There
are other obstacles to successful charting in 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Mike Middleton" wrote in message
Concerned ... -

You haven't described the content of the 15 MB sheet, but you may get some
insights from the Excel pages at Charles Williams' web site, for example,

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecrets.htm

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Concerned with Office 2007 Speed"
t.com wrote in message
Trial

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

By "demo version" are you referring to an ancient slow beta version or
the Trial version?

"Concerned with Office 2007 Speed"
t.com wrote in
message
I have a Centrino Duo T2300 with 1 Gig of Ram and loaded the demo
version
of
Offict 2007 Professional. I have a 15 Meg spreadsheet created in Excel
2003
which I loaded and saved it in Excel 2007. It has a number of graph
tabs.
When I press a graph tab it takes almost 5 seconds to switch between
tabs.
This was almost instantaneous on 2003. It this the expected
performance.
In
addition the the memory size increases significantly with each graph
tab
and
is currently sitting at over 400 Meg.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Spreadsheed is ~ 8300 rows of data (345 days of hourly data). The
recalculation is turned off and I need to do a simple X-Y plot of 5 variable
versus time. To get graphs by month I have copied the same chart and change
the X-Scale min/max values to show 1 month of data per Tab. the result is
each graph displays ~750 data points of the 8300 defined in the graph range.
In Excel 2003, the ability to switch tabs is "instantaneous" in Excel 2007 it
takes ~5 seconds the first time and is shorter if it is reselected. Each tab
that is selected used a significant chunch of memory.

This makes Excel 2007 unusable to me and I have removed the Office 2007
Professional Trial version and have gone back to 2003 where I'll have to stay
is this is Excel 2007's performance. For a spreadsheet that supports
1,000,000 rows, graphing of this data set should be a breeze not a
significant slowdown from 2003.

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

Concerned ... -

You haven't described the content of the 15 MB sheet, but you may get some
insights from the Excel pages at Charles Williams' web site, for example,

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecrets.htm

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Concerned with Office 2007 Speed"