Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to summarise a Order Form

I have created a simple list of items that is used as an order form for the
goods we supply. The list is organised in such a way a to be easily navigated
when placing an order but the items are actually located in many different
places. I wish to create additional summary sheets for each location that
show just the items that are kept in that particular place. I am familiar
with the 'IF' command but not sure if that the best command to use for this
particular task. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not to clear on what you mean by "the items are actually located in many
different places." can you give some sample data? like what is on each sheet
and where and where it needs to go?
--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"grahambio" wrote:

I have created a simple list of items that is used as an order form for the
goods we supply. The list is organised in such a way a to be easily navigated
when placing an order but the items are actually located in many different
places. I wish to create additional summary sheets for each location that
show just the items that are kept in that particular place. I am familiar
with the 'IF' command but not sure if that the best command to use for this
particular task. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John

Below is an example of the sort of thing we use. By location I mean where
they are physically kept and therefore although the items appear together on
the order, I wish to create further lists of items stored in same place. For
example 'Dry Foam' & 'Gloss Black' may be located in Warehouse 1; 'Carb
Kleen' & 'Grey Primer' in Warehouse 2 and all other items in Warehouse 3. I
want to generate a list to be sent to each respective warehouse for the items
to be picked. Hope this now a little clearer.
Thanks Grahambio

Product Ref Unit Pack
Order Cost
BATTERY TERMINAL PROTECTOR AJBTP-16 400 ML 12 1 1.00
BRAKE & CLUTCH KLEEN AJBCK-16 400 ML 12 1 1.00
CARB KLEEN AJCKS-16 400 ML 12 6 6.00
CLEAR CHAIN & BEARING LUBE CCL-16B 400 ML 12 3 3.00
DRY FOAM AJDFS-16 400 ML 12 9 9.00
FOAMING TYRE DRESSING AJFTD-16 400 ML 12 2 2.00
GLOSS BLACK AJGBP-16 400 ML 12 5
5.00
GRAFFITI GEL REMOVER AJVMR-16 400 ML 12 6 6.00
GREY PRIMER AJGPP-16 400 ML 12 3 3.00

"grahambio" wrote:

I have created a simple list of items that is used as an order form for the
goods we supply. The list is organised in such a way a to be easily navigated
when placing an order but the items are actually located in many different
places. I wish to create additional summary sheets for each location that
show just the items that are kept in that particular place. I am familiar
with the 'IF' command but not sure if that the best command to use for this
particular task. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, I see what you are talking about, how do you tell from that data what is
stored where? Or is it on another sheet? We should be able to do this pretty
easily.
--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"grahambio" wrote:

I have created a simple list of items that is used as an order form for the
goods we supply. The list is organised in such a way a to be easily navigated
when placing an order but the items are actually located in many different
places. I wish to create additional summary sheets for each location that
show just the items that are kept in that particular place. I am familiar
with the 'IF' command but not sure if that the best command to use for this
particular task. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John

There is no reference to the actual storage location on the Order Form
itself as it is not relevent to the purchaser when placing order. The
additional 'Location Sheets' would be hidden from the purchaser, for recovery
when we process the orders. We could perhaps add some form of identifier to
the product code to assist sorting? At present the Order Form we use is made
up of 10 sheets within a workbook with 1 hidden summary page for the whole
order. At present the goods are essentially stored in 1 place so sorting a
requisition is easy, but soon there will be 4 different locations and we wish
the 'sorting' to be done automatically to ensure accuracy and speed. On the
current summary sheet we use the 'IF' command to determine whether the item
has been ordered or not and therefore shown, however the problem for us is
how to direct orders on the Order Form to specific summary sheets. I hope
this all makes sense.
Thanks
Grahambio

"grahambio" wrote:

I have created a simple list of items that is used as an order form for the
goods we supply. The list is organised in such a way a to be easily navigated
when placing an order but the items are actually located in many different
places. I wish to create additional summary sheets for each location that
show just the items that are kept in that particular place. I am familiar
with the 'IF' command but not sure if that the best command to use for this
particular task. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see. Sounds like if you put an identifier on say the item number that told
the location such as a
-1 at the end you could populate the 4 different sheets with an if
statement. e.g if(right(A1,1)=1,A1,"") and on the other sheet
if(right(A1,1)=2,A1,"").
--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"grahambio" wrote:

I have created a simple list of items that is used as an order form for the
goods we supply. The list is organised in such a way a to be easily navigated
when placing an order but the items are actually located in many different
places. I wish to create additional summary sheets for each location that
show just the items that are kept in that particular place. I am familiar
with the 'IF' command but not sure if that the best command to use for this
particular task. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for info. I understand the method you suggest but for clarity can I
ask if there is any formula to 'send' information to another sheet rather
than have the other sheet 'ask' for the information? For example say if an
order is placed for a particular item, it is then 'forwarded' to another
sheet. Also, do you feel there is any better way to achieve what we are
looking for if we started again with the whole Order Form from scratch?

Thanks
Grahambio

"grahambio" wrote:

I have created a simple list of items that is used as an order form for the
goods we supply. The list is organised in such a way a to be easily navigated
when placing an order but the items are actually located in many different
places. I wish to create additional summary sheets for each location that
show just the items that are kept in that particular place. I am familiar
with the 'IF' command but not sure if that the best command to use for this
particular task. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The best way to do it would be through code, you can't send info to another
cell with a function but you could build an order form and when you click say
a submit button, each item would poplulate on its respective page. Your order
form would probably be fine the way it is layout-wise, you would just need to
add an indicator for where it is to be stored. You can e-mail it to me if you
want and I'll take a look when I get a little time.
--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.