Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Part of the keyboard seems to be locked in excel

Hi.
We've been working with Excel 2003 at work for quite some time now, and just
recently ran into some very odd trouble:

In any worksheet I choose any cell, and press a key - nothing happens. If I
edit the cell by pressing F2, all the keys work fine. Strangely enough some
of the keys do work as they are supposed to, and pressing the latter keys
will let me edit (or add to) the contents of the cell.

The working keys are a, b, c, å, ä, ö. Also all the numbers on the numpad
except for 0 and 1 work.

Any ideas? It's getting quite annoying.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you need a new keyboard?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Lowrey" wrote:

Hi.
We've been working with Excel 2003 at work for quite some time now, and just
recently ran into some very odd trouble:

In any worksheet I choose any cell, and press a key - nothing happens. If I
edit the cell by pressing F2, all the keys work fine. Strangely enough some
of the keys do work as they are supposed to, and pressing the latter keys
will let me edit (or add to) the contents of the cell.

The working keys are a, b, c, å, ä, ö. Also all the numbers on the numpad
except for 0 and 1 work.

Any ideas? It's getting quite annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think so. The keyboard works fine in all other applications, and also
in excel once you press the F2 button. There has to be something amiss in
excel itself.

"Dave F" kirjoitti:

Perhaps you need a new keyboard?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only other thing I can think of is to check some of the settings in your
options. Example, the Edit tab. Go to Tools--Options and see what's
selected there.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Dave F" kirjoitti:

Perhaps you need a new keyboard?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lowrey,

I've had that happen with Outlook Express. Don't think so in Excel. Try
the usual stuff under "Excel acts generally goofy" at
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/vfaq.htm. No guarantee, but you always want
to try the easy stuff first.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Lowrey" wrote in message
Hi.
We've been working with Excel 2003 at work for quite some time now, and
just
recently ran into some very odd trouble:

In any worksheet I choose any cell, and press a key - nothing happens. If
edit the cell by pressing F2, all the keys work fine. Strangely enough
some
of the keys do work as they are supposed to, and pressing the latter keys
will let me edit (or add to) the contents of the cell.

The working keys are a, b, c, å, ä, ö. Also all the numbers on the numpad
except for 0 and 1 work.

Any ideas? It's getting quite annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Didn't help, but thanks for the otherwise quite useful link.

I managed to solve the problem simply by removing the check in Tools |
Options | Other applications | Alternative command keys

(I'm not quite sure about the last, since I don't use the English version.
Should be close, though.)