SharronA

Default Excel F2 & MS Media Keyboard

How can I regain use of Excel's F2 function (which opens a cell for editing
directly in the cell) on my new MS Natural Media Keyboard? The new keyboard
assigns the "undo" function to the F2 key, and if I turn off the new
functions (F-LOCK), the F2 key seems "dead" to Excel.

The keyboard offers some limited ability to customize some keys, and I
wouldn't mind putting the "edit in cell" function on another key, but I can't
seem to find out how to do that. I've checked the online support, Knowledge
Base, and built-in help menus, all to no avail.

Going to the mouse to open the cell, then back to the keyboard to edit,
every time I want to change something in a cell, is a horrendous waste of
time and energy! There must be a work-around. TIA for any help.
--
SharronA
Ron de Bruin

Hi SharronA

The F2 is working for me if I turn it of.
Maybe this will help
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2...27/f-lock-key/

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"SharronA" wrote in message ...
How can I regain use of Excel's F2 function (which opens a cell for editing
directly in the cell) on my new MS Natural Media Keyboard? The new keyboard
assigns the "undo" function to the F2 key, and if I turn off the new
functions (F-LOCK), the F2 key seems "dead" to Excel.

The keyboard offers some limited ability to customize some keys, and I
wouldn't mind putting the "edit in cell" function on another key, but I can't
seem to find out how to do that. I've checked the online support, Knowledge
Base, and built-in help menus, all to no avail.

Going to the mouse to open the cell, then back to the keyboard to edit,
every time I want to change something in a cell, is a horrendous waste of
time and energy! There must be a work-around. TIA for any help.
--
SharronA

Gord Dibben

Sharron

In order to edit directly in cell you must have ToolsOptionsEdit "edit
directly in cell" enabled(checked).

If not, F2 will edit in the formula bar, which you may not be noticing.

Jason Tsang has a couple of .REG files that will allow you to reverse the
default behaviour of the F Lock key or disable it.

One will change the default to "Off".
http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

The other will eliminate the F Lock feature totally. This one I use!!
http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock-e.html

Both are Zips have an Undo.REG and a Readme.txt file with them.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP