Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup in a particular worksheet in another workbook

Hi there,

I have this situation:

I have 3 tables of data in 3 separate data worksheets (USD, GBP, Euro) in a
workbook data file (Prices). I want to lookup values in one of the 3 data
worksheets where I define the worksheet name (USD, GBP or Euro) in a cell of
my Form worksheet.

How do I define the path of the worksheet (USD, GBP, Euro) that I want to
lookup into in my lookup formula, by just defining the worksheet name in a
particular cell of my Form?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The easiest way to do it is to open the other workbook, then create the
formula using mouse click into the other workbook. Once the formula is
complete, close it and Excel will automatically adjust it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have this situation:

I have 3 tables of data in 3 separate data worksheets (USD, GBP, Euro) in

workbook data file (Prices). I want to lookup values in one of the 3 data
worksheets where I define the worksheet name (USD, GBP or Euro) in a cell

of
my Form worksheet.

How do I define the path of the worksheet (USD, GBP, Euro) that I want to
lookup into in my lookup formula, by just defining the worksheet name in a
particular cell of my Form?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The data to be retrieved is in a different workbook--not just a different
worksheet in the same workbook?

If that's the case...

The function you'd want to use that's built into excel is =indirect(). But that
function returns an error if the sending workbook is closed.

Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
http://xcell05.free.fr/

That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.

Kevin wrote:

Hi there,

I have this situation:

I have 3 tables of data in 3 separate data worksheets (USD, GBP, Euro) in a
workbook data file (Prices). I want to lookup values in one of the 3 data
worksheets where I define the worksheet name (USD, GBP or Euro) in a cell of
my Form worksheet.

How do I define the path of the worksheet (USD, GBP, Euro) that I want to
lookup into in my lookup formula, by just defining the worksheet name in a
particular cell of my Form?

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The formula that I used in the Form.xls file is as follows:

=VLOOKUP(E2,[Price.xls]USD!$A$3:$X$121,HLOOKUP(F2,[Price.xls]USD!$A$1:$X$2,2,FALSE),FALSE)

In the Price.xls file are 3 worksheets of data to lookup from; USD, GBP,
Euro.

From the formula that I used above, it is the sheetname (USD, GBP, or Euro)
that I want to define in a cell K12 in Form.xls to select the currency price.
In other words, I'd like to substitute USD in the formula to cell K12 of my
Form.xls.

Is there a way to do that using just formulas?

Thank you
Kevin