Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Regarding .CSV files

Generally I have installed with windows XP , when I download and open the
files with extension .csv, all the data gets opened in column A itself, even
though delimeter is specified.

But this works perfectly fine when I select "Save As" option it has selected
"csv". In fact, if I proceed with that and save as csv, and then open the
saved file, Excel works just fine!

What must be problem while opening the file in .csv

Please do suggest as soon as possible
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I think your current selecion is just a cell before downloading. Select all
columns by clicking the left corner and then try downloading again. This will
display all the data as stored in the CSV file.

Challa Prabhu

"Kalaiselvi" wrote:

Generally I have installed with windows XP , when I download and open the
files with extension .csv, all the data gets opened in column A itself, even
though delimeter is specified.

But this works perfectly fine when I select "Save As" option it has selected
"csv". In fact, if I proceed with that and save as csv, and then open the
saved file, Excel works just fine!

What must be problem while opening the file in .csv

Please do suggest as soon as possible

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you open the original file in Notepad, what delimiter does it have?
If you open your csv (as saved from Excel) in Notepad, what delimiter does
that have?
What delimiter is specified in Windows/ Regional Options?
What happens if you rename your original csv as .txt, and try to import to
Excel that way?
--
David Biddulph

"Kalaiselvi" wrote in message
Generally I have installed with windows XP , when I download and open the
files with extension .csv, all the data gets opened in column A itself,
even
though delimeter is specified.

But this works perfectly fine when I select "Save As" option it has
selected
"csv". In fact, if I proceed with that and save as csv, and then open the
saved file, Excel works just fine!

What must be problem while opening the file in .csv

Please do suggest as soon as possible

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you specifying the delimeter in Excel?
Data-Text To Columns-Delimited
select your delimeter.