Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lee Bowman

Default a question about .CSV files

I have a comma delimited file used to 'mailmerg' into a form (old
Wordstar program). I could also import it into a DOS database, but to
look at a table of the data 'quick and dirty', I first stripped it
(since Wordstar files contain extended coding beyond the basic ASCII
coding), then renamed it as a .csv file, and opened it with Excel.

I was able to format the cells as needed, and see all the data. But
when saving it, it says, "filename.csv may contain features that are
not compatible with .CSV (Comma delimited). Do you want to keep the
workbook in this format? It only let me save it by saying 'yes', and
one time it wouldn't open again (stated some kind of corruption or
incompatibility).

Basically what I'm wondering is this:

I this a standard practice to save a comma delimited file by just
changing the file extension to .CSV, or should I 'import' it some
other way? I'm thinking that this would make the file fully
compatible with Excel.

By the way, does anybody besides me still use DOS datafiles (and
'Wordstar') ? Thanks for any input.

Lee Bowman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMay

I've heard others say they "changed" the extension from ".csv" to ".txt" and
from Excel do a File Open.. where the Wizard takes over. I'd make a copy of the
".csv" file and give this technique a try on the copy.

"Lee Bowman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

Do you need to use the file again as a .csv? If not, then when you load
it into Excel use File | Save As and save it (maybe with a different
name) as an Excel file.

Hope this helps.

Pete