Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default .XLS to .CSV files

I do a lot of importing and the original file is in .xls format. I make the
changes and format the columns, date, general, number, currency etc. I
understand thatn the .csv doesn't all the formats, features. Then I do a
"save as " with the same name bot .csv. However, I go to import and I get
some errors and iit must be due to the formatting. I check the data and it
is correct and should go work. What do I need to do? What is the best way
to save from .XLS to get a .CSV file. I know the problem is when the file is
open but after I do "save as" it is open. Naturally when I save it isn .CSV
I get the format warning. Then when I go to close it will as me again to
save it = give the format warning. Sometimes I say no and sometimes yes, I
tried it both way?? So what do I need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you'll have to share the exact error that you get when you try importing
the data from the CSV file.

And if I have to save a .xls file as .csv, I'll open it, save it as .csv and
then close without saving. Excel likes to warn you that the fileformat isn't
what it expects (a normal workbook) when you're closing and offer you another
chance to save that file.

If you haven't made chances to the file (except for the .csv file), you can
decline that offer. If you have made changes, I would think that you would
appreciate the prompt and save it as a normal workbook.

--

Dave Peterson