Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vertical text WITHOUT merging?

Is there a way to type vertical text over several cells WITHOUT merging them?
In a regular, horizontally aligned cell you can type into the next cell
without merging them. Is there a way to do this vertically without merging
the cells together?

In case you're curious, this comes about because my boss wants a spiffy new
calendar with all the holidays on it. This is to track the leave time of
everyone in the building so the days are expressed in the X axis while the
names of the workers are expressed in the Y axis. I want to be able to write
in the holiday name vertially, while still maintaining the ability to
highlight and change the color of a row bisecting that column without
changing the entire column. We change the color of the row to indicate what
days someone is taking off.
If there's another way to solve the problem, let me know.

--
Humanity must not only survive, but thrive.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Insert a blank column on the left side of the sheet, then draw a text box
large enough to cover the afffected rows that is the width of the column.
Format the text box alignment and font as needed.

Regards...

ChristopherTri