Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default protecting individual cells

hopefully I stopped my first posting, if not I am sorry.
We use a formatted worksheet for a couple of our tests values. We use the
same formatted worksheets daily, and just save them under a new name. We have
had a few techs change the quality control values and some of the conditional
formatting, that should not have access to this (causes a lot of correction
for us). I would like to password protect just those certain cells and allow
access only for myself and my supervisor to prevent this. How can one
password protect just certain cells and allow other cells to have information
imputted into them. We are using Excel 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are 2 factors that go into protecting a cell or a number of cells.
Those 2 factors are protect/unprotect the sheet and lock/unlock the cell(s).
Protecting the sheet affects access to only those cells that are locked.
All cells in a sheet are Locked by default. So, to do what you want, you
need to unlock those cells to which you want others to have access and leave
locked those cells you to which you want to restrict access. Then protect
the sheet.
To lock/unlock a cell or cells, first select those cells, then click on
Format - Cells - Protection tab and check/uncheck the Locked box. To
protect/unprotect the sheet, click on Tools - Protection - Protect/Unprotect
sheet. Note that when you protect the sheet, Excel provides a number of
options regarding what you want to protect/restrict. HTH Otto
"MedTech" wrote in message
hopefully I stopped my first posting, if not I am sorry.
We use a formatted worksheet for a couple of our tests values. We use the
same formatted worksheets daily, and just save them under a new name. We
have
had a few techs change the quality control values and some of the
conditional
formatting, that should not have access to this (causes a lot of
correction
for us). I would like to password protect just those certain cells and
allow
access only for myself and my supervisor to prevent this. How can one
password protect just certain cells and allow other cells to have
information
imputted into them. We are using Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi MedTech,

By default, every Excel cell is protected. However, you must go to Tools on
the menu bar, and click the menu option "Protect Sheet". On the Protect
Sheet window, check the options that you want and type in a password
(Password is optional). Then click OK. That will protect the sheet.

If you just want to protect certain cells in a sheet, right-click on the
cell(s) that you do not want to protect. Then click on the menu option
"Format Cells". On the Format Cells window, click on the tab "Protection".
Uncheck the box "Locked" under the Protection tab. That will unprotect the
cell(s) that you want. Then follow the steps above to protect those cells
that you want.

I hope it helps.