Gus

Default Protecting certain cells only & Spell check

I have a protected worksheet with certain cells I do not want changed. I
also have cells in which people can type text. But I noticed that when a
worksheet is protected, spell check is grayed out. Is there any way to
allow by text cells to be checked for spelling without unprotecting my
worksheet? Or is there a way to protect cells from change without
protecting the whole worksheet?

Gord Dibben

Gus

Requires VBA to unprotect the sheet, do the spellcheck then reprotect the
sheet.

Similar to.......

Sub Spell_Check()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
Cells.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme", DrawingObjects:=True, _
Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
End Sub

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:10:13 GMT, "Gus" wrote:

I have a protected worksheet with certain cells I do not want changed. I
also have cells in which people can type text. But I noticed that when a
worksheet is protected, spell check is grayed out. Is there any way to
allow by text cells to be checked for spelling without unprotecting my
worksheet? Or is there a way to protect cells from change without
protecting the whole worksheet?

Gord Dibben

Gus

If you're going to use Excel a lot, you will learn how to create, write and
execute macros.

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

In the meantime..........

First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Run the macro by going to ToolMacroMacros.

You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo.

Gord

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:42:19 GMT, "Gus" wrote:

thanks for the reply; not sure how to do this, I'm not a programmer.

.. .