Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hiding data points on a line graph

I am putting together a line graph that will be updated hourly. I do
not want it to show the next data point until the update is entered on
the graph. When the related cells on the graph are blank though the
line graph dips to zero for that data point.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You probably have a formula like

=A1

or

=IF(A10,A1,"")

Excel treats "" as text, with a numerical value of zero. And even if A1 is
blank, its value is brought over as zero in the first formula. Use this
formula instead:

=IF(A10,A1,NA())

This isn't plotted in a line or XY chart. It leaves an ugly #N/A error in
the cell, which you can hide with conditional formatting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"japc90" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting together a line graph that will be updated hourly. I do
not want it to show the next data point until the update is entered on
the graph. When the related cells on the graph are blank though the
line graph dips to zero for that data point.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey There, I am writting in regard to a post you made in december. I was
experiencing the same issue with my graph recognizing a blank cell as a "0".
I have replaced the "" in my if equation to NA() and am wondering how to use
conditional formating to keep the #N/A error from being visible.

Thanks

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

You probably have a formula like

=A1

or

=IF(A10,A1,"")

Excel treats "" as text, with a numerical value of zero. And even if A1 is
blank, its value is brought over as zero in the first formula. Use this
formula instead:

=IF(A10,A1,NA())

This isn't plotted in a line or XY chart. It leaves an ugly #N/A error in
the cell, which you can hide with conditional formatting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"japc90" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting together a line graph that will be updated hourly. I do
not want it to show the next data point until the update is entered on
the graph. When the related cells on the graph are blank though the
line graph dips to zero for that data point.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CF Formula is =ISNA(A1) then choose an appropriate formula, such as font
white.
--
David Biddulph

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

You probably have a formula like

=A1

or

=IF(A10,A1,"")

Excel treats "" as text, with a numerical value of zero. And even if A1
is
blank, its value is brought over as zero in the first formula. Use this
formula instead:

=IF(A10,A1,NA())

This isn't plotted in a line or XY chart. It leaves an ugly #N/A error in
the cell, which you can hide with conditional formatting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions