Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping a data field in a pivot table

I am trying to group some dates, I would like to do day, week and month. I
right-clicked and went to Group and Show Details, and then to group but it
only groups them bu day. It does not even give me the option of grouping by
anything else. I went to the help and it says that when it is a date field
it should give you the option of how to group it by. Why is it not doing it
for me?? Help!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mercedes

What do you mean by 'only giving you the option of days'?

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"mercedes" wrote in message
I am trying to group some dates, I would like to do day, week and month. I
right-clicked and went to Group and Show Details, and then to group but it
only groups them bu day. It does not even give me the option of grouping
by
anything else. I went to the help and it says that when it is a date
field
it should give you the option of how to group it by. Why is it not doing
it
for me?? Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can group by Day and Month (by week is a bit trickier as it will only
allow you to group by every 7 days based on the date of the earliest date in
the field). If you group by a set number of days then you can not group by
month, year, etc... That being said you need to make sure that the date field
is dates and not text otherwise you will not be able to group. When you
select group you should get a dialog allowing you to group by Day, Month,
Quarter, Year (along with time). If you do not get that dialog then post back
with what you do get...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"mercedes" wrote:

I am trying to group some dates, I would like to do day, week and month. I
right-clicked and went to Group and Show Details, and then to group but it
only groups them bu day. It does not even give me the option of grouping by
anything else. I went to the help and it says that when it is a date field
it should give you the option of how to group it by. Why is it not doing it
for me?? Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mercedes

If you don't get the dialog, do you get any error, like 'Cannot group that
selection'?

If the source data is in Excel try copying a 1 and then highlight the
'dates' and editpaste specialValues and multiply.

Now format these as dates and make sure there are no spaces or other data
other than dates and it should work then

--
HTH
Nick Hodge