Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I display text in the data field of a pivot table?

Although I realize this isn't the typical method of using a pivot table, I'm
attempting to display text in the data field for my pivot table. The three
source columns consist of 1) a strategy, 2) an activity focused at attacking
that strategy and 3) an organizational contribution that coincides with both.
For example, the source worksheet column name, and input would look
something like this for a single entry:

Source Columns: Strategy Activity Team Contribution
Row Inputs: Safety Study Accrue Data

I realize I can display all three by inputting then in the row area of the
pivottable, but I'd like to input the strategy in the row area, activity in
the column area, and team contribution in the data area to display the
information a bit differently. Is it possible, with a source file input
change, to show the data in the "data field" as text rather than numbers?
Thanks.

-Allan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, you can't display text fields as text in the data area of a pivot table.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures