Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you calculate a formula in the same cell where you enter the d

Ok I need some help for a co-worker...He is creating a financial spreadsheet
and he wants to know if you can have a formula calculate in the same field
where you enter the data. He said he doesn't necessarily need the data on
the spreadsheet...he just wants to enter in the number and manipulate it
after it is entered.

I know this is confusing...here is an example:

You enter $14,000 into A1. Once you move from A1, it displays 20% of the
value that was originally entered, or $2800. He wants to know if this can be
done, and so do I...any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could configure macros to do this, but I think it must be some kind of
worst practice, and very confusing to the user. If I entered a number into a
cell and it changed, I'd assume I did something wrong and try re-entering my
value. You should keep all calculations transparent. This includes having
separate cells for the data being entered and the percentage it is
multiplied by. The formula would then reference just the cells, and would
contain no magic numbers.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Tikki" wrote in message
Ok I need some help for a co-worker...He is creating a financial
spreadsheet
and he wants to know if you can have a formula calculate in the same field
where you enter the data. He said he doesn't necessarily need the data on
the spreadsheet...he just wants to enter in the number and manipulate it
after it is entered.

I know this is confusing...here is an example:

You enter $14,000 into A1. Once you move from A1, it displays 20% of the
value that was originally entered, or $2800. He wants to know if this can
be
done, and so do I...any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Default Can you calculate a formula in the same cell where you enter t

I agree with Jon...........and you've probably got the $14000 entered
somewhere else in the sheet anyway, for example in A1, so if you want 20% of
that figure in cell A2, just put =A1*.2 in cell A2

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3