Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula won't calculate unless I click cell

I am using a countif function in MS Excel. It is counting the instances that
a particular date/ time occurs in a list. The function references the
criteria in an adjacent cell as follows

In cell A2:
9/1/06 5:00 PM

In cell B2:
=countif( D2:D30,A2)

The countif function won't calculate until I double click on cell A2 which
puts a cursor in it and then hit enter on my keyboard. Any ideas on why I
have to click the referenced cell to get the formula to calculate?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you have calculation set to automatic? Tools--Options--Calculation.
Make sure automatic is checked.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"steel1960" wrote:

I am using a countif function in MS Excel. It is counting the instances that
a particular date/ time occurs in a list. The function references the
criteria in an adjacent cell as follows

In cell A2:
9/1/06 5:00 PM

In cell B2:
=countif( D2:D30,A2)

The countif function won't calculate until I double click on cell A2 which
puts a cursor in it and then hit enter on my keyboard. Any ideas on why I
have to click the referenced cell to get the formula to calculate?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ToolsOptionsCalculation.

Make sure you are set to "Automatic"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP