Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ao Ao is offline

Default Linking cells for sorting purposes

I have some ID card type information in 22x6 boxes. In order to be able to
sort these academically, I wanted to add a name column next to the ID cards.
How can I make the 22x6 cells into one unit and link them to a box in the
name column so the whole box sorts when I sort the name column? Let me know
if you need more information, I don't know that I've described it very well.
Thanks,
Ben
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the "Name" column, enter the name, followed by a number for each row. For
example:

Name1
Name2
Name3
Name4
Name5
Name6

Now, when you sort, all 6 rows of your ID Card will sort based on the name,
but stay in the correct order because of the ending number.

HTH,
Elkar

"Ao" wrote:

I have some ID card type information in 22x6 boxes. In order to be able to
sort these academically, I wanted to add a name column next to the ID cards.
How can I make the 22x6 cells into one unit and link them to a box in the
name column so the whole box sorts when I sort the name column? Let me know
if you need more information, I don't know that I've described it very well.
Thanks,
Ben

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ao Ao is offline

Thanks Elkaar, that makes sense. Is there any other way to link cells to
achieve the same result with only one name entry for a cleaner look? Now I'm
just nitpicking...

"Ao" wrote:

I have some ID card type information in 22x6 boxes. In order to be able to
sort these academically, I wanted to add a name column next to the ID cards.
How can I make the 22x6 cells into one unit and link them to a box in the
name column so the whole box sorts when I sort the name column? Let me know
if you need more information, I don't know that I've described it very well.
Thanks,
Ben

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There no way that I'm aware of to link the cells like you're talking about.

Here's an idea that might "clean things up" though. You could insert
another column for the name in addition to the one you've already got, but
just fill in the name on the first row of each ID Card. Then you could Hide
the numbered name column. Something like:

Col A Col B
Name Name1
Name2
Name3
Name4
Name5
Name6

Column B would be hidden, but you could still perform sorts using it.
Column A would remain visible and sort with the first line of each ID Card.
Just a thought...

HTH,
Elkar