Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ignore blank

I set-up an excel template. I defined validation rules on some cells, mainly
choosing from a list and Ignore Blank unticked (meaning an entry is
mandatory). When testing the template, dropdown list works. I did not
bother going into some of the cells and just clicked SAVE. It allowed me to
save the doco even if there were some mandatory fields that I did not
populate. What I want to happen is for excel to tell me at time of saving
(or when I TAB on the field) that user failed to enter data on mandatory
fields. Couldn't seem to find the answer in HELP ...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are several ways to deal with this.

Some people set the mandatory cells with conditional formatting so that they
stand out until an entry is made in them.

Another way, probably more certain, is to put code in the workbook's
_BeforeClose() event to verify that all required information has been entered
before allowing the workbook to be closed. Or at least tell the user of the
missing information and give them an opportunity to enter it before closing
the book since they may not have the information and need to close it, get it
and come back later to complete the workbook? That's probably a little more
user friendly than just refusing to close the book at all.