Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Only Showing # When £ has been pressed

Like the title says, I noticed recently that Excel 2003 is not accepting that
the keyboard is a normal UK English keyboard. Other things such as Word or
Notepad have no problems. Every time I press Shift 3 For a £, up on the
sceen comes a #.

Must be some setting somewhere that's changed. Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

better u can create own macro with this symbol when ever u want u can get
with help of shortcut key. some keyboards are made differnt thats why u wont
get the symbol any way ia m workout that i willsend the proper answer reg ur
questionl. but u want pound symbol u can get from symbol then select pound
then create personal macro with that symbol and do wht ever u want.

comment send u ropinion of this answer which
part u r useful for u

thank u

"Gazz" wrote:

Like the title says, I noticed recently that Excel 2003 is not accepting that
the keyboard is a normal UK English keyboard. Other things such as Word or
Notepad have no problems. Every time I press Shift 3 For a £, up on the
sceen comes a #.

Must be some setting somewhere that's changed. Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response.

The thing is that this used to be ok, and has only recently started to go
wrong. Ideally I'd like to fix what's wrong rather than implement a
"work-around".

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My thought is you have your settings set for a US style English keyboard.
Shift 3 = # on US keyboards.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Gazz" wrote:

Thanks for the response.

The thing is that this used to be ok, and has only recently started to go
wrong. Ideally I'd like to fix what's wrong rather than implement a
"work-around".

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cheers.

Could be but does that setting exist in Excel ? As mentioned no other
application has problems with this so it's not a global PC setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happens if you open a new workbook and try to enter the pound symbol?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Gazz" wrote:

Cheers.

Could be but does that setting exist in Excel ? As mentioned no other
application has problems with this so it's not a global PC setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

#

:-)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

unlikely to be just excel.
check by Opening a file, and typing £# whatever in the file name
If this isn't working it's your system settings - you've gone American :)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:14:54 -0000, Gazz
wrote:

#

:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are referring to Excel, then yes when I try to type the file name
during a save or save as then the £s come out as #s.

But if referring to anyother application then when I try to save the file £s
come out as £s and #s as #s.

Like I say, it's Excel related.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:05:00 -0000, Gazz
wrote:

If you are referring to Excel, then yes when I try to type the file name
during a save or save as then the £s come out as #s.

But if referring to anyother application then when I try to save the
file £s
come out as £s and #s as #s.

Like I say, it's Excel related.

that is very wierd, as the dialogue is Windows standard I'd have thought.

Have you switched to UK, non-us configuration in Windows to see what
change it makes ?

--
Steve (3)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you have instructions ?

I shall be most disappointed if it isn't already set to UK everywhere,
although MS do seem to like to put annoyances in form time to time.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:21:00 -0000, Gazz
wrote:

Do you have instructions ?

I shall be most disappointed if it isn't already set to UK everywhere,
although MS do seem to like to put annoyances in form time to time.

standard Control Panel, not aware that different applications can have
different mappings

--
Steve (3)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc