Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation From Different Workbook

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on this subject.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:43:01 -0800, Wally
wrote:

In cell A3 of workbook named “Job Costs”, I have a drop down list referenced
from a different, opened, workbook named “Materials”. Data Validation on this
cell is; Allow - List, Source – (Several lists from workbook “Materials” such
as Aluminum,Wood).

In cell A4 of workbook “Job Costs”, I would like to create another list that
looks at cell A3 and gives all the items for that chosen category. In Data
Validation, I have tried to use =INDIRECT($A3). This doesn’t work unless the
lists (Aluminum, Wood) are in the same workbook.

What am I missing?