-   -   Data Validation From Different Workbook (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/120413-data-validation-different-workbook.html)

Wally

Data Validation From Different Workbook

In cell A3 of workbook named €śJob Costs€ť, I have a drop down list referenced
from a different, opened, workbook named €śMaterials€ť. Data Validation on this
cell is; Allow - List, Source €“ (Several lists from workbook €śMaterials€ť such
as Aluminum,Wood).

In cell A4 of workbook €śJob Costs€ť, I would like to create another list that
looks at cell A3 and gives all the items for that chosen category. In Data
Validation, I have tried to use =INDIRECT($A3). This doesnt work unless the
lists (Aluminum, Wood) are in the same workbook.

What am I missing?

Dave F

Data Validation From Different Workbook

Why have this data in an external workbook? Seems it has the potential for
confusion. In any event, here's some info on how INDIRECT works:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/indirect.htm
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Wally" wrote:

In cell A3 of workbook named €śJob Costs€ť, I have a drop down list referenced
from a different, opened, workbook named €śMaterials€ť. Data Validation on this
cell is; Allow - List, Source €“ (Several lists from workbook €śMaterials€ť such
as Aluminum,Wood).

In cell A4 of workbook €śJob Costs€ť, I would like to create another list that
looks at cell A3 and gives all the items for that chosen category. In Data
Validation, I have tried to use =INDIRECT($A3). This doesnt work unless the
lists (Aluminum, Wood) are in the same workbook.

What am I missing?

Gord Dibben

Data Validation From Different Workbook

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on this subject.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:43:01 -0800, Wally
wrote:

In cell A3 of workbook named “Job Costs”, I have a drop down list referenced
from a different, opened, workbook named “Materials”. Data Validation on this
cell is; Allow - List, Source – (Several lists from workbook “Materials” such
as Aluminum,Wood).

In cell A4 of workbook “Job Costs”, I would like to create another list that