Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation From Different Workbook

In cell A3 of workbook named Job Costs, I have a drop down list referenced
from a different, opened, workbook named Materials. Data Validation on this
cell is; Allow - List, Source (Several lists from workbook Materials such
as Aluminum,Wood).

In cell A4 of workbook Job Costs, I would like to create another list that
looks at cell A3 and gives all the items for that chosen category. In Data
Validation, I have tried to use =INDIRECT($A3). This doesnt work unless the
lists (Aluminum, Wood) are in the same workbook.

What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why have this data in an external workbook? Seems it has the potential for
confusion. In any event, here's some info on how INDIRECT works:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/indirect.htm
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Wally" wrote:

In cell A3 of workbook named Job Costs, I have a drop down list referenced
from a different, opened, workbook named Materials. Data Validation on this
cell is; Allow - List, Source (Several lists from workbook Materials such
as Aluminum,Wood).

In cell A4 of workbook Job Costs, I would like to create another list that
looks at cell A3 and gives all the items for that chosen category. In Data
Validation, I have tried to use =INDIRECT($A3). This doesnt work unless the
lists (Aluminum, Wood) are in the same workbook.

What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on this subject.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP