Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

Default Lock a print area

Hi. Is there a way that I can lock the print area that I set. For E.G. if I
set the print area to cells B5:D15, is there a way to lock it so nobody
should be able to change it by mistake, and would have to unlock it to change
the print area?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Lock a print area

Yes, you can lock the print area in Excel to prevent accidental changes. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cells that you want to set as the print area (in your example, B5:D15).
  2. Right-click on the selection and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, go to the "Protection" tab.
  4. Check the box next to "Locked" to lock the cells.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  6. Go to the "Review" tab in the ribbon.
  7. Click on "Protect Sheet" in the "Changes" group.
  8. In the "Protect Sheet" dialog box, check the box next to "Protect worksheet and contents of locked cells".
  9. Optionally, you can set a password to unlock the sheet.
  10. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now, the print area is locked, and nobody can change it without first unlocking the sheet. Note that this also locks any other cells that you have marked as "locked" in the "Format Cells" dialog box. If you want to make changes to the print area, you'll need to unprotect the sheet first by clicking on "Unprotect Sheet" in the "Changes" group on the "Review" tab.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The print area is just a named range that users can set by choosing
FilePrint AreaSet Print Area.

You could use programming to set the print area before a worksheet
prints. For example, in the ThisWorkbook module:

'==================
Worksheets("Sheet1").PageSetup.PrintArea = "$B$5:$D$15"
End Sub
'================

David McRitchie's has an intro to macros at:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

thanks for the answer but I tried it and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't put
in the macro the right way. Any help?
Is there a way to print just one sheet and not another sheet and set that
way that it should be locked?

art wrote:
Hi. Is there a way that I can lock the print area that I set. For E.G. if I
set the print area to cells B5:D15, is there a way to lock it so nobody
should be able to change it by mistake, and would have to unlock it to change
the print area?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The macro goes in the ThisWorkbook module. David McRitchie describes how
to install them Her:

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#blueboxWS

If macros are enabled, the sample code will automatically run when you
print Sheet1.