Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Programming or Function?

I have a large list of items - what I would like is when someone enters the
item code, the rest of the information (description, etc) fills in. I know I
can do this with AutoComplete - just wondering if there is a better way since
I am using a large list and don't want to type in each item description by
hand.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check out help on VLOOKUP tables.

Also see Debra Dalgleish's site for more(and better) on VLOOKUP and Data
Validation lists for entering the item code.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:20:01 -0800, jweasl
wrote:

I have a large list of items - what I would like is when someone enters the
item code, the rest of the information (description, etc) fills in. I know I
can do this with AutoComplete - just wondering if there is a better way since
I am using a large list and don't want to type in each item description by
hand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord!
I'm pretty familiar with Vlookup and Data Validation - I already use that in
another instance - but my issue here is I want to type in a cell and then
have the same cell's contents change. Looks like I need a Loop function, and
I have no experience with those :-(

wrote:

I have a large list of items - what I would like is when someone enters the
item code, the rest of the information (description, etc) fills in. I know I
can do this with AutoComplete - just wondering if there is a better way since
I am using a large list and don't want to type in each item description by
hand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mean you want the code you typed in to be overwritten by the description?

Sounds a little dangerous to me.

How do you account for errors in typing?

You could use event code using Case Select I suppose but with many item codes
that could become quite lengthy.

One of the VBA guru's will come up with something loopy, I'm sure.

Gord

wrote:

I have a large list of items - what I would like is when someone enters the
item code, the rest of the information (description, etc) fills in. I know I
can do this with AutoComplete - just wondering if there is a better way since
I am using a large list and don't want to type in each item description by
hand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's a sample workbook on my web site that shows a product name and
code in the Data Validation dropdown list. After an item is selected,
the cell shows only the product name. You could adapt this to your
workbook.

On the following page:

Under Data Validation, look for "DV0005 - Data Validation Columns"

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for getting me off the hook Debra<g

Beats the heck out of a gaggle of Case Selects.

Gord

jweasl wrote:
I have a large list of items - what I would like is when someone enters the
item code, the rest of the information (description, etc) fills in. I know I
can do this with AutoComplete - just wondering if there is a better way since
I am using a large list and don't want to type in each item description by
hand.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, it might be a little easier to maintain. <g

jweasl wrote:

I have a large list of items - what I would like is when someone enters the
item code, the rest of the information (description, etc) fills in. I know I
can do this with AutoComplete - just wondering if there is a better way since
I am using a large list and don't want to type in each item description by
hand.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Need some comments on my Utility_Move class module. jchen Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 21st 06 07:05 PM
Fill Function to next Column shital shah Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 16th 06 02:53 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM