Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unknown formatting on inserted rows...?

Hi there

We have a massive spreadsheet that's had some rows inserted. When doing a
simple SUM of a part of a column, the values in the inserted rows are missed
out.

They have some kind of formatting which is different to the rest of the
spreadsheet, but trying of reformat them to numbers makes no difference.

Actually that's not entirely accurate, when I format them to number they are
then left aligned, while the rest of the column is right aligned.

This happens whether I try to reformat the whole column or just the
offending cells.

I've also tried cutting and pasting special (values) into a clean sheet, but
the formatting travels with them.

Help?!

Thanks
Jane

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you've got text values in there, rather than numbers. Just
changing the cell format won't change the data content. You may need to
check whether you've got spaces or other non-numerical characters before or
after your data. It may be worth looking at functions such as CLEAN() and
TRIM().
--
David Biddulph

"Bahookie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alas no luck.

I'd be grateful for any other ideas!

PS sorry for double post got confused with the sign up process!

Ta

"Bahookie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

HOORAY!!!!

I found out how to do it :)

Highlight the afflicted cells/row/column, press F2 then enter :)

That was bugging my brain something awful....

Thanks for your help

Jane