Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I differences in two Excel Workbook lists automaticall

I would like to find a way for Excel to automatically point out differences
between two lists. Can be either two worksheets or workbooks. I knwo how to
compare side by side but want Excel to do the work.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, there are a bunch of ways to compare lists of data, but the answer to
your question depends in part on what you're comparing. Numbers? Text?
Count of items in a list? Alphanumeric text strings?

Etc.

Give us some info on what you're comparing.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DeeKayT" wrote:

I would like to find a way for Excel to automatically point out differences
between two lists. Can be either two worksheets or workbooks. I knwo how to
compare side by side but want Excel to do the work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well if you want to compare, say, the lengths of two text strings then
something like =IF(LEN(A1)=LEN(B1),"Equal","Unequal")

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DeeKayT" wrote:

In this instance, it is text

"DeeKayT" wrote:

I would like to find a way for Excel to automatically point out differences
between two lists. Can be either two worksheets or workbooks. I knwo how to
compare side by side but want Excel to do the work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In this instance, I imported data into a database from a list (text) in
Excel. About 2000 rows. All but about 12 of the rows imported. I pulled the
imprted data back into a spreadsheet and want to find the ones that didn't
import. Can Excel do this automatically or do I have to scroll through all
2000?

"DeeKayT" wrote:

I would like to find a way for Excel to automatically point out differences
between two lists. Can be either two worksheets or workbooks. I knwo how to
compare side by side but want Excel to do the work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There may be an easier way to do this, but I would do the following:

1) Tag your original data set "original" in a new column.
2) Tag your new data set "new" in the corresponding column
3) Combine the two data sets (including the newly added columns) into a new
data set.
4) Sort by a unique identifier.
5) Run a helper column (assume your unique identifier is in column A).
=IF(A2=A1,"",1) Wherever a 1 is returned, you know there is a gap in the
sequence. Somewhere near that 1 is the line that is in your original data
set but not your new data set.

Make sense?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DeeKayT" wrote:

I would like to find a way for Excel to automatically point out differences
between two lists. Can be either two worksheets or workbooks. I knwo how to
compare side by side but want Excel to do the work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yeah, i did try that already but the =IF(LEN(A1)=LEN(B1),"Equal","Unequal")
will work until I hit the first unequal row. from there on out they are all
unequal.

"Dave F" wrote:

Well if you want to compare, say, the lengths of two text strings then
something like =IF(LEN(A1)=LEN(B1),"Equal","Unequal")

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DeeKayT" wrote:

In this instance, it is text