Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LPS LPS is offline

Default Auto Fill With Letters

Usign Excel 2000, can you create an autofill list using the letters of the
alphabet? For example, if I type a 1 in one cell and a 2 in the cell below,
I can then select both those cells and drag the autofill notich down to
create a numeric list, say, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8.

Can I do that with letters? If I type the letter a in one cell and the
letter b the cell below and then select both cells and drag the autofill
notch, all I get is the series: a b a b a b.

Any helpis greatly appreciated.

Thx,
L.

--
LPS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

In an empty section of any worksheet....
Fill the cells with the letters of the alphabet:
Example:
A1: A
A2: B
etc.
A26: Z

Select the list range.
Then...From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<custom lists tab
Click the [Import] button
(now you've just created a custom list of the letters of the alphabet)

Now...any time you want to use that list
just type the first letter in a cell and use the drag handle to continue the
list.

If you start with the letter D....you'll get D,E,F....Z,A,B,C...etc
If you start with the letter A....you'll get A,B,C...etc

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"LPS" wrote:

Usign Excel 2000, can you create an autofill list using the letters of the
alphabet? For example, if I type a 1 in one cell and a 2 in the cell below,
I can then select both those cells and drag the autofill notich down to
create a numeric list, say, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8.

Can I do that with letters? If I type the letter a in one cell and the
letter b the cell below and then select both cells and drag the autofill
notch, all I get is the series: a b a b a b.

Any helpis greatly appreciated.

Thx,
L.

--
LPS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LPS LPS is offline

Hi Ron. Yes, I had thought of that but I was hoping there was something
more automatic, in the same way as the numbers.

Thanks for the suggestion though and help.
Cheers,
--
LPS