Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default cell passwords

I would like to create a specific password for different cells. This would
allow multiple users the edit the spread sheet but only edit specific
information. However, everyone with access to the spreadsheet could see the
data.

Example: Following users can edit thier cells only
User Password
Joe XXX
Sam yyy
Sam yyy
Sam yyy
Doug zzz
Doug zzz
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot use passwords for specific cells, but you can achieve the gist of
what you want with VBA. Basically, when the file is opened or when a sheet
is accessed, an Input Box would pop up and ask for the password. Then the
code would lock/unlock the pertinent cells for that password and protect the
sheet. Does this like something you might use? HTH Otto
"jcurless" wrote in message
I would like to create a specific password for different cells. This would
allow multiple users the edit the spread sheet but only edit specific
information. However, everyone with access to the spreadsheet could see
the
data.

Example: Following users can edit thier cells only
User Password
Joe XXX
Sam yyy
Sam yyy
Sam yyy
Doug zzz
Doug zzz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Otto,

Thanks for your response. However, I am not sure I follow your idea. Could
you please elaborate on your idea/concept.

JKC

"jcurless" wrote in message
I would like to create a specific password for different cells. This would
allow multiple users the edit the spread sheet but only edit specific
information. However, everyone with access to the spreadsheet could see
the
data.

Example: Following users can edit thier cells only
User Password
Joe XXX
Sam yyy
Sam yyy
Sam yyy
Doug zzz
Doug zzz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, your objective is to allow access to edit only specific cells per
password. So the code will first ask for the user's password. With the
password in hand the code will lock all the cells on the sheet, then unlock
only those cells that go with that password, then protect the sheet. The
result is that this particular user will be able to edit "his" cells but no
other cells.
A word of caution. Be aware that Excel is not a secure platform nor is it
intended to be one. Anyone with enough Excel knowledge will be able to edit
any cell he wants to. It's your call as to whether or not any particular
security scenario suits your needs. HTH Otto