Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File Says Read Only Even After Closing It

Hi,

One of my file is opening as Read Only, for me and everyone, even after
I closed the file.

How can I sort out this?

-Dileep

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try closing the file, then press 'file open' so that you can see the file
icon, then right click it and select properties, un-check the 'Read-Only'
tick box and click apply. then try re-opening the file. Or open the file as
'read-only' and 'save as' another file name?

"Dileep Chandran" wrote:

Hi,

One of my file is opening as Read Only, for me and everyone, even after
I closed the file.

How can I sort out this?

-Dileep

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and in use.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 30 Oct 2006 21:43:59 -0800, "Dileep Chandran" wrote:

Hi,

One of my file is opening as Read Only, for me and everyone, even after
I closed the file.

How can I sort out this?

-Dileep

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP