-   -   File Says Read Only Even After Closing It (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/116790-file-says-read-only-even-after-closing.html)

Dileep Chandran

File Says Read Only Even After Closing It

Hi,

One of my file is opening as Read Only, for me and everyone, even after
I closed the file.

How can I sort out this?

-Dileep

hot dogs

File Says Read Only Even After Closing It

Try closing the file, then press 'file open' so that you can see the file
icon, then right click it and select properties, un-check the 'Read-Only'
tick box and click apply. then try re-opening the file. Or open the file as
'read-only' and 'save as' another file name?

"Dileep Chandran" wrote:

Hi,

One of my file is opening as Read Only, for me and everyone, even after
I closed the file.

How can I sort out this?

-Dileep

Dave Peterson

File Says Read Only Even After Closing It

See your other post.

Please don't multipost.

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

File Says Read Only Even After Closing It

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and in use.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 30 Oct 2006 21:43:59 -0800, "Dileep Chandran" wrote:

Hi,

One of my file is opening as Read Only, for me and everyone, even after
I closed the file.

How can I sort out this?

-Dileep

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP