Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying Links

I have two worksheets and one is my template that I link cells to in my
second worksheet.

I have multiple columns and rows that I'm linking to. When I want to create
a new row in my second worksheet I used to select the first cell and type =
and then go to my first worksheet and click the cell that I want it to link
to.

Then to complete the row, I used to just copy and paste the cell I just
linked on my second worksheet and it wouldn't copy that particular cell, but
rather the "formula" of the link and it would link to the similar cell in the
row/column of the first worksheet.

Now all of a sudden when I copy and paste it pastes the cell, rather than
the "formula". Why? How can I change it back?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the two worksheets in the same workbook or in separate workbooks?

One common cause of what you describe is having two workbooks open each in its
own instance of Excel.

Close one instance and open both workbooks in a single instance of Excel.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:49:02 -0800, Visual Calendar Dilemma
wrote:

I have two worksheets and one is my template that I link cells to in my
second worksheet.

I have multiple columns and rows that I'm linking to. When I want to create
a new row in my second worksheet I used to select the first cell and type =
and then go to my first worksheet and click the cell that I want it to link
to.

Then to complete the row, I used to just copy and paste the cell I just
linked on my second worksheet and it wouldn't copy that particular cell, but
rather the "formula" of the link and it would link to the similar cell in the
row/column of the first worksheet.

Now all of a sudden when I copy and paste it pastes the cell, rather than
the "formula". Why? How can I change it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

They are in the same workbook and I didn't have any other workbooks opened.

I just kept closing and reopening the workbook and it finally snapped back
into doing what I wanted, but would like to know how to avoid this in the
future.