Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help! Damaged Workbook!

Hello!
I'm in trouble! Today I had an excelent day. I was thinking "what a
productive day I had at the office".
I was saving my work on a hard drive on another computer on my network. All
of a sudden, in the middle of the saving process, my network crashed.
Afterwards, I tried to open the workbook and I get a message saying "you
don't have acces to the workbook, the workbook might be read only, or the
server is not responding". I have already tried the "open and repair" command
from the Workbook/Open dialog box.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Best regards,
Albert C
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and in use.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:20:01 -0700, Albert
wrote:

Hello!
I'm in trouble! Today I had an excelent day. I was thinking "what a
productive day I had at the office".
I was saving my work on a hard drive on another computer on my network. All
of a sudden, in the middle of the saving process, my network crashed.
Afterwards, I tried to open the workbook and I get a message saying "you
don't have acces to the workbook, the workbook might be read only, or the
server is not responding". I have already tried the "open and repair" command
from the Workbook/Open dialog box.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Best regards,
Albert C

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A re-boot should take care of that but you can delete whatever Windows will
allow you to.

You may get a "cannot delete, file in use" but the Excel-created ones should be
OK to delete.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

Hello!
I'm in trouble! Today I had an excelent day. I was thinking "what a
productive day I had at the office".
I was saving my work on a hard drive on another computer on my network. All
of a sudden, in the middle of the saving process, my network crashed.
Afterwards, I tried to open the workbook and I get a message saying "you
don't have acces to the workbook, the workbook might be read only, or the
server is not responding". I have already tried the "open and repair" command
from the Workbook/Open dialog box.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Best regards,
Albert C

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your ultra fast response.
I appreciate your efforts.
Didn't work however...
Albert

wrote:

Hello!
I'm in trouble! Today I had an excelent day. I was thinking "what a
productive day I had at the office".
I was saving my work on a hard drive on another computer on my network. All
of a sudden, in the middle of the saving process, my network crashed.
Afterwards, I tried to open the workbook and I get a message saying "you
don't have acces to the workbook, the workbook might be read only, or the
server is not responding". I have already tried the "open and repair" command
from the Workbook/Open dialog box.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Best regards,
Albert C

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can try our product Advanced Excel Repair. It's a powerful tool to
repair corrupt Excel files that can perform much better than the "open
and repair" command do. The records of your workbook can be recovered
with Advanced Excel Repair.

More detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/index.htm for

You can also get a free demo version at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe to have a try first.

Alan Chen
DataNumen, Inc. - World leader in data recovery technologies
Website: http://www.datanumen.com
Fax: +1-800-9917-FAX (US Toll-Free), +852-31829286 (HONG KONG)