Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
50pingviner

Default Repost:Automatically inserting a row in external workbook

Hi,

How can I make one workbook which links to another workbook
automatically create a row, when a row is inserted in the workbook,
which is being linked to.

Furthermore I would like the workbook with the links to automatically
update those links, so they still fit.

This might be a little tricky formulated, so I will make an example:

Workbook A links to Workbook B.

workbook A A1=workbook B A1
workbook A A2=workbook B A2

Quite simple really.

If I insert a row between A1 and A2, I would like workbook A to
automatically (or through a macro) be able to change similarly.

I can make a macro, where I insert a row in both workbooks and update
the formula, but that macro has to insert the row at a given place,
since I dont know how to prompt and make the macro ask for a specific
row.

A macro with a prompt would be fine, but does anyone know how to solve
this one?

Thx. Lars

--
50pingviner
50pingviner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29298

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joham S via OfficeKB.com

Try data -- IMPORT -- IMPORT DATA, might have to set some import properties
to get it refreshed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
50pingviner

wow that actually works...

thx. man

--
50pingviner
50pingviner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29298
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495440

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rental Man

Well ... It deos not work for me.

I am using Excel 2003

I have selected in the propertoes tab "insert entire rows for new data,
clear unused cells", yet when I refresh with changed data, the new data is
there but new rows are not being added. I have tried this numerous times
using a variety of the check boxes, including "fill down formulas in adjacent
columns" to no avail.

Here is what I am trying to do, in case there is a better way:

I want to have a spreadsheet with 12 monthly worksheets and one YTD
worksheet. As I added new items to the inventory, I want to update each of
these worksheets to reflect the new items. Most of the time the new items
will be in between existing items.

What I have done is prepared two spreadsheets, one with the monthly and YTD
workbooks and another with only the inventory listing. Refresh works
properly as far as adding the new item, but it is not adding a complete line
for the data, such that each new item "captures" cells to the right of it
which is data for the item which is now beneath it, causing my last item to
be one row off for each new inventory added.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas or suggestions!

Rental Man

"50pingviner" wrote:

wow that actually works...

thx. man