Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep lookup values constant

Hello,

I entered a lookup function that works the way I need it to. I'd like to
now apply this function to the remaining cells in a column beneath where the
function is entered. When I drag the corner of the cell down, however, the
lookup values that need to remain constant instead increment.

I tried placing $ in front of the values that I want constant, but they
still increment.

How do I keep these values constant so that the lookup function looks at the
same columns / cells to determine the correct cell value?

Thanks,

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried placing $ in front of the values that I want constant,
but they still increment.

Post the *EXACT* formula you tried.

Biff

"tommcbrny" wrote in message
Hello,

I entered a lookup function that works the way I need it to. I'd like to
now apply this function to the remaining cells in a column beneath where
the
function is entered. When I drag the corner of the cell down, however,
the
lookup values that need to remain constant instead increment.

I tried placing $ in front of the values that I want constant, but they
still increment.

How do I keep these values constant so that the lookup function looks at
the
same columns / cells to determine the correct cell value?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is the formula entered in the first row of the column:

=LOOKUP(H1,A1:A4,B1:B4)

I'd like to drag this formula to the rest of the rows, but have only the
lookup value (H1) increment while the lookup vector and result vector remain
unchanged.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Tom

"tommcbrny" wrote in message
Hello,

I entered a lookup function that works the way I need it to. I'd like to
now apply this function to the remaining cells in a column beneath where
the
function is entered. When I drag the corner of the cell down, however,
the
lookup values that need to remain constant instead increment.

I tried placing $ in front of the values that I want constant, but they
still increment.

How do I keep these values constant so that the lookup function looks at
the
same columns / cells to determine the correct cell value?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Never mind, I got it...

=LOOKUP(H1,$A$1:$$4,$B$1:$B$4)

Thanks to anyone who looked for me.
Tom

"tommcbrny" wrote in message
Hello,

I entered a lookup function that works the way I need it to. I'd like to
now apply this function to the remaining cells in a column beneath where
the
function is entered. When I drag the corner of the cell down, however,
the
lookup values that need to remain constant instead increment.

I tried placing $ in front of the values that I want constant, but they
still increment.

How do I keep these values constant so that the lookup function looks at
the
same columns / cells to determine the correct cell value?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That would, of course, have failed, Tom. I guess you mean
=LOOKUP(H1,$A$1:$A$4,$B$1:$B$4)

[Hint: it's usually safer to copy & paste, rather than to retype.]

If you've looked at the help for absolute addressing and relative
addressing, you'll have seen that if you were only filling down rows, and
not across columns, you could get away with
=LOOKUP(H1,A$1:A$4,B$1:B$4)
--
David Biddulph